News Feed › Forums › The Garage – Go Karting Guides, Tutorials, and How To’s › [GUIDE] – Understanding the Racing Line! – Smooth is Fast! › Reply To: [GUIDE] – Understanding the Racing Line! – Smooth is Fast!
AdministratorApril 14, 2020 at 7:04 pm
- Brake to maximum capacity at your braking point
- Move your vision to the apex point
- Turn-in your car at the turn-in point
- Make the apex of the idealracing line
- Begin to introduce the accelerator
- Open up steering to the corner’s exit point
When approaching a corner, you should take it from the opposite side to the bend. For example, if you’re coming up to a right-hand turn, position your kart as far left as possible (and vice versa for the opposite direction).
- This basically straightens your turn out as much as possible, so you’ll be able to take the corner faster and continue to accelerate through the bend, which keeps your kart more stable and powerful.
- You should slow as much as you need to until you hit your turning point and the inside apex – then put all your foot down and get ahead! This is commonly known as “slow in, quick out” – the more controlled you begin your maneuver, the more quickly you’ll be able to complete it.
As briefly mentioned above, it’s important to brake before you meet a turn. In fact, whenever you do a maneuver on the track that requires you to slow down and turn the wheel, you should be trail braking.
This means braking only when your kart is traveling in a straight line, and then beginning your turn when you’ve hit the appropriate speed. This keeps your kart more stable, meaning you’re able to accelerate harder throughout the actual turn, completing the whole maneuver much more quickly. Time to hit the track!