News Feed › Forums › The Garage – Go Karting Guides, Tutorials, and How To’s › [VIDEO] – TOP 10 TIPS for Karting Beginners – Remember These for Faster Times! › Reply To: [VIDEO] – TOP 10 TIPS for Karting Beginners – Remember These for Faster Times!
AdministratorApril 8, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Here are some extra ideas for you to noodle on when it comes to improving your karting!
- Smoother is faster around most race tracks including the bead-blasted concrete surface at Pole Position Raceway. Be smooth with all of the controls including the go kart steering wheel, brakes and throttle.
- When riding go karts you should strive to carry as much momentum as possible around the track in most instances, but there will be a few compromises. The best way to carry momentum is by using wide lines around the race track that allow you to carry more exit speed.
- One of the best ways to reduce lap times is to follow faster drivers. When following faster drivers, try to duplicate their race lines as close as possible, but make sure you stay within your own safety limits.
- In most cases you want to limit sliding in the turns. At most of the tracks, you should strive to find the razor’s edge of where the tires begin to lose grip, just like in other forms of racing. Controlling front tire grip is generally more important than the rear, and it’s usually acceptable to allow the back end to slide a little as long as you can maintain safe control of the kart.
- It’s usually best to do all of your braking in a straight line. When brakes are applied while turning, it generally causes the tires to lose traction easier and quicker.
- When competing for best time, it’s generally best to give yourself plenty of space between you and the closest driver ahead of you at the beginning of the race. This will minimize the chances of a slower driver getting in your way that could prevent you from getting the fastest lap possible within your ability.
- Avoid making contact with the barriers or other karts since it will disrupt your kart’s handling and will instantly slow you down.