7 Things You Need to Know Before You Hit the “FULL SEND” Button on Your Kart
- Get To Know Your GoKart
- If you’re just getting into karting, you probably want to know more about how to drive a go kart and how it works. But whether you’re a beginner or an experienced veteran of the tracks, knowing your kart inside out is a great way to get better.
- Find out all about the features of the typical go-kart and how simple (but thrilling!) they are to drive – you’ll be behind the wheel and speeding around the track in no time!
- Features of a gokartYou might see different models of go-kart at different tracks, but by and large they all share the same features. A go-kart is basically a scaled-back Formula One car, but they still pack some serious power!
- Engine and drive
- Most adult go-karts you’ll see at tracks use a 4-stroke or 2-stroke gas engines, while junior karts get a smaller engine.Speeds for an adult kart could exceed 80mph, and over 55mph for juniors – and that’s heart-racing fast when you’re low to the ground and coming up to a tight bend!
- Steering wheel
- The all-important control center of the kart, the steering wheel tells your rear wheels which way to go. Along with every other vital component of the kart, the steering column, alignment and tires/tire pressure/ tire wear, need to be regularly inspected to make sure it’s responsive and fighting fit for high-speed thrills.
- The seats are fiber glass so whether you’re tall or small you’ll be able to reach the pedals with the proper fitting of the seat and position!
- Along with the steering, these are the bits you need to master if you want to know how to drive a go kart!
- The go-kart’s tube chassis is lightweight and aerodynamic to keep it nice and responsive, helping you make those all-important accelerations back up to high speed after you’ve bossed your way round a corner.
- You might have noticed go-karts have super wide tires. Just like with an F1 car, this increases their lateral traction, which means you can take those tight corners without sacrificing too much speed – as long as you’ve got the skills for it.
- Ready to race?
- Now you’ve seen what a karting is all about, we bet you’re itching to get down to the track and put pedal to the metal for yourself. Let us know if you would like any more info on getting your own kart or coming to meet us at AMP in Atlanta Ga.